- Haryana History : Bathing at Sohna
- Sohna is famous for its hot springs, which have medicinal qualities, several thousand people assemble at Sohna on Somwati Amawas to bathe in sulphur springs. The crowd would be small if the festival happens to fall during harvest-time.
- Holi is celebrated with considerable zest, particularly in the area bordering Uttar Pradesh. Four days before the festival, married women play Holi with their men folk by throwing colored water on them. The day following Holi, Dhulandi (Phag), men folk throw water on women who retaliate by a mock beating with sticks or kolras (twisted cloth strips). The men act as if they are powerless and they pretended attempts at shielding themselves lead to much fun and amusement.
- Earth Day 2019: 22 April
- Earth Day is an annual event celebrated on April 22.
- Worldwide, various events are held to demonstrate support for environmental protection.
- It was first celebrated in 1970, now this event includes events in more than 193 countries.
- Theme: ‘Protect Our Species’
- UAE adopts National Artificial Intelligence Strategy 2031
- The UAE Cabinet has adopted the National Artificial Intelligence Strategy 2031.
- Its aims at positioning the UAE as a global leader in artificial intelligence by 2031 and to develop an integrated system that employs artificial intelligence in vital areas in the country.
- The strategy includes eight objectives and a number of initiatives, aimed at employing artificial intelligence in vital areas such as education, government services and the community wellbeing.
- India drops down on World Press Freedom Index
- India has dropped two places on a global press freedom index to be ranked 140th out of 180 countries in the annual Reporters Without Borders analysis.
- The index is an indicator of how hatred of journalists has degenerated into violence in countries across the world.
- Six Indian journalists were reportedly killed in the year 2018 owing to their work.
- Norway is ranked first in the 2019 Index for the third year running while Finland has taken the second place.
- India to stop importing crude from Iran
- The Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gashas taken steps necessary steps to end the imports from Iran, as the United States refused to extend the sanctions waiver for India to import crude from Iran. Earlier, India has urged the US to restore the sanction waivers it has decided to not to proceed with the purchase as the oil trade cannot happen in anticipation.
- Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas has stated that a robust plan for an adequate supply of crude oil to Indian refineries is in place. It also said that the shortfall will be met through alternate supply sources available in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, IJAE and Mexico.
- India is the world’s third-biggest oil consumer. It meets more than80% of its oil needs through imports. In 2017-18, Iran was India’s third-largest supplier after Iraq and Saudi Arabia and about 10% of total needs were met throughimports from Iran. India can avail optional volumes from a number of suppliers which it can exercise to make up for any shortfall from Iran. India also plans to avail the route of spot market to source crude. But the cause of concern is more related to prices in India.
- When President Trump had first pulled out of the nuclear deal, oil shot up to over $85 a barrel and it fell to near USD 50 after the US administration unexpectedly granted the waivers.
- Civil Services Day: 21 April
- The Civil Service Day is celebrated on 21 April every year.
- The purpose of this day is to rededicate and recommit themselves to the cause of the people.
- On this occasion, all officers of Central and State Governments are honoured for excellence in public administration by the Prime Minister of India.
- Issue of Rs 200, Rs 500 banknotes bearing signature of Governor Shaktikanta Das
- New notes for Rs 200 and Rs 500 will be soon issued by the Reserve Bank of Indiain Mahatma Gandhi (New) series.
- With the signature of the current RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das, the new notes will be similar to previous Rs 200 and Rs 500 notes.
- The past notes of these denominations issued by the central bank will continue to be legal tender.
- The Reserve Bank of India will shortly issue₹ 200 denomination Banknotes in Mahatma Gandhi (New) Series bearing the signature of Shri Shaktikanta Das, Governor.
- RBI to issue new Rs 20 denomination banknotes
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will soon release new banknotes of Rs 20 denomination in the Mahatma Gandhi (New) Series.
- It will bear the signature of RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das.
- The new denomination has the motif of the Ellora Caves on the reverse.
- The base colour of the note is greenish yellow.
- All the banknotes in the denomination of Rs 20 issued by the RBI in the earlier series will continue to be legal tender.
- The dimension of the new Rs 20 note will be 63 mm x 129 mm.
Gk bit: Indian Currency
- In terms of Section 25 of RBI Act, 1934 the design of banknotes is required to be approved by the Central Government on the recommendations of the Central Board of the Reserve Bank of India. The responsibility for coinage vests with the Government of India on the basis of the Coinage Act, 2011 as amended from time to time.
- There are fifteen languages appearing in the language panel of banknotes in addition to Hindi prominently displayed in the centre of the note and English on the reverse of the banknote.
- The Reserve Bank presently manages the currency operations through its 19 Issue offices located at Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Belapur, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Chandigarh, Chennai, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Jammu, Kanpur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai, Nagpur, New Delhi, Patna, Thiruvananthapuram, a currency chest at Kochi and a wide network of currency chests.
Final Destination for Haryana PSC Notes and Tests, Exclusive coverage of HPSC Prelims and Mains Syllabus, Dedicated Staff and guidence for HPSC Exams HPSC Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for HPSC Prelims and HPSC Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by HPSC Notes are as follows:-
- HPSC Mains Tests and Notes Program
- HPSC Prelims Exam 2020- Test Series and Notes Program
- HPSC Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- HPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes