Definition: Increases or decreases the rate of reaction without actually taking part in the reaction.
Types: On the basis of phase of reactants:
- Same phase : Homogenous catalyst; eg: In Hydrogenation use of Raney nickel catalyst
- Different phase : Heterogenous catalyst; Eg in Ozone depletion Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) like CF2Cl2, for example, were used extensively in aerosols and as refrigerants.
Application of catalytic activity: In catalytic converter: having expensive metals namely platinum palladium and rhodium as the catalysts, are fitted into automobiles for reducing emission of poisonous gases. As the exhaust passes through the catalytic converter, unburnt hydrocarbons are converted into carbon dioxide and water, and carbon monoxide and nitric oxide are changed to carbon dioxide and nitrogen gas, respectively.
- Definition of catalyst?
- Types of catalyst?
- Catalytic converter?
Final Destination for Haryana PSC Notes and Tests, Exclusive coverage of HPSC Prelims and Mains Syllabus, Dedicated Staff and guidence for HPSC Exams HPSC Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for HPSC Prelims and HPSC Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by HPSC Notes are as follows:-
- HPSC Mains Tests and Notes Program
- HPSC Prelims Exam 2020- Test Series and Notes Program
- HPSC Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- HPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes