: The polymerase chain reaction is a technique for cloning a particular piece or amplifying a single or few copies of a piece of DNA, generating millions or more copies of that particular DNA sequence. One can make virtually unlimited copies of a single DNA molecule even though it may initially be present in a mixture containing many different DNA molecules.
A basic PCR requires the following components:
- DNAtemplatethat contains the DNA region called target to be amplified.
- Two primerscomplementary to the DNA regions at the 5′ or 3′ end of DNA.
- The enzyme, Taq polymeraseor another DNA polymerase with a temperature optimum at around 70°C.
- Deoxynucleoside triphosphates (dNTPs)that are building blocks for DNA synthesis, e.g. dATP, dGTP, dCTP and dTTP.
- Buffer solution, providing a suitable chemical environment for optimum activity and stability of the DNA polymerase.
- Divalent cations, magnesium or manganese ions; generally Mg2+ is used but Mn2+ can be utilized for PCR-mediated DNA mutagenesis.
- Monovalent cationpotassium ions.
Final Destination for Haryana PSC Notes and Tests, Exclusive coverage of HPSC Prelims and Mains Syllabus, Dedicated Staff and guidence for HPSC Exams HPSC Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for HPSC Prelims and HPSC Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by HPSC Notes are as follows:-
- HPSC Mains Tests and Notes Program
- HPSC Prelims Exam 2020- Test Series and Notes Program
- HPSC Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- HPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes