- Haryana among worst performing states
- Haryana has been ranked among the worst performing states in water resource management in the country.
- The state is ranked 16th in overall composite water management index with a score of 37.8 in financial year 2016-17, according to the Niti Aayog’s report on Composite Water Management Index released recently.
- Of the 17 non-Himalayan states, Haryana in base year (financial year 2015-16) was ranked 16th and remained at the same position in financial year 2016-17.
- The report stated that Haryana and other states achieving less than 50 water index score, needs to significantly improve their water resource management practices.
- Contrary to the claims of Haryana Government, the pace of work for water management has remained below expectations in the state.
- On-farm use indicator, the state needs to provide information on agriculture indicators, especially given its position as a large output producer, the report observed.
- As per the report, the low performers are, worryingly, comprised of the populous northern states of Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Rajasthan, Haryana, and others, are home to over 600 million people .
- Most worryingly, large agricultural states, such as Punjab, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh have negligible micro-irrigation adoption.
- The reporting states were divided into two special groups – ‘North Eastern and Himalayan states’ and ‘Other States’ – to account for the different hydrological conditions across these groups.
- The report, however, also appreciated the waste water treatment process in the state and maintained that Haryana is the leader and treats 95 percent of its waste water.
· US withdraws from United Nations Human Rights Council
- The United Stateswithdrew from the United Nations Human Rights Council, accusing it of a “chronic bias against Israel,” a move that activists warned would make advancing human rights globally even more difficult.
- The United Nations Human Rights Council consists of 47 member states,with a specific number of seats given to each region of the world.
- Members are elected by the U.N. General Assembly for three-yearterms and cannot serve more than two terms in a row.
· India, Russia to hold military exercise Indra 2018 during the second half this year
ð The tri-service joint Russia-India military exercise Indra-2018 will take place in an Indian military base in the second half of this year.
ð Russia has been a long-standing defence partner of India.
· Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos became the Richest Person in the World
- Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezoshas become the richest man in the world with a net wealth of USD 141.9 billion, as per the Forbes World’s Billionaires list.
- Bill Gates, the principal founder of Microsoft Corporation, is the second-richest man in the world with USD 92.9 billion.
- Warren Buffet ranked third place with a total of wealth of USD 82.2 billion.
· World is celebrating 4th International Yoga Day
- 4th International Yoga Day is celebrated across the world.
- On December 11, the United Nations General Assembly declared June 21as International Day Yoga.
- 800 differently-abled persons from across the country attempted Guinness World Record in Ahmedabad for ‘Largest Silent Yoga Class’ on International Yoga Day 2018.
- The theme for Yoga Day 2018 is “Yoga for Peace.”
· India may not sign international pact on child abduction
- The government is unlikely to sign in near future an international treaty that makes inter-country abduction of children by parents a punishable offence.
- Signing the Hague convention on civil aspects of international child abduction would be against the interest of women who flee bad marriages.
- There has been a steady rise in parental abductions as more and more Indians go abroad to work or study. Children bear the brunt of parents’ marital disputes and are often forced to return to India by one of the quarrelling parents. In most cases, it is the mother who returns with the child.
- The ministry is setting up a panel headed by the chairperson of the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR). Its members will include a representative of the embassy of the country from where the parent has fled with the child.
- Shillong gets selected as the 100th Smart City
- Shillong, the capital city of Meghalaya has been selected as 100thSmart City after evaluating the proposal submitted by it.
- Till now, 99 smart cities had been selected in four rounds of competition and with today’s announcement, selection of 100 cities has been completed under the Smart Cities Mission.
- Previously, 20 cities were selected in January 2016, 13 cities in May 2016, 27 cities in September 2016, 30 cities in June 2017 and 9 cities in January 2018.
- With the selection of Shillong, the total proposed investment in the finally selected 100 cities under the Smart Cities Mission would be Rs.2,05,018 crores.
Final Destination for Haryana PSC Notes and Tests, Exclusive coverage of HPSC Prelims and Mains Syllabus, Dedicated Staff and guidence for HPSC Exams HPSC Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for HPSC Prelims and HPSC Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by HPSC Notes are as follows:-
- HPSC Mains Tests and Notes Program
- HPSC Prelims Exam 2020- Test Series and Notes Program
- HPSC Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- HPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes