- Most of the canals provide perennial irrigation. This saves the crops from drought conditions and helps in increasing the farm production.
- Canals carry a lot of sediments brought down by the rivers. The sediments is deposited in the agriculture fields which adds to the fertility.
- Some of the canals are parts of multipurpose project and therefore provide cheap source of irrigation.
- Low operational cost.
- Leads to the problem of water logging along the canal route.
- Capillary action brings alkaline salts to the surface and makes large area unfit for agriculture.
- The marshy areas near the canals act as breeding grounds of mosquitoes which result in widespread malaria.
- Many canals over flow during rainy season and flood the surrounding areas.
- Canal irrigation is suitable in plain areas only.
Final Destination for Haryana PSC Notes and Tests, Exclusive coverage of HPSC Prelims and Mains Syllabus, Dedicated Staff and guidence for HPSC Exams HPSC Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for HPSC Prelims and HPSC Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by HPSC Notes are as follows:-
- HPSC Mains Tests and Notes Program
- HPSC Prelims Exam 2020- Test Series and Notes Program
- HPSC Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- HPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes